Hi, I’m Birgit Diggins (on Twitter known as @BforBirgit), a North West London based freelance content marketing and digital strategist, and copy and content writer. I also like to refer to myself as a content optimiser and fixer.
I help businesses – one man bands and larger businesses alike – craft new and optimise existing web and marketing content, which I believe is the life-force** of any business.
It doesn’t matter if your objective is to build your brand, to sell your services, to spread your heartfelt message, to deliver a project, or if your business is perhaps getting married, success means connecting, engaging and winning over your audience. Words have the power to do all that. And I have the passion and experience to tap into their power by designing purposeful content strategies and injecting them with my writing and editing cleverness.
**According to Oxford Dictionaries the definition of life-force is “the force that gives something its vitality and strengths”, or, the Free Dictionary states: “the force that is responsible for growth and evolution.”
Not always my official job title or profession, however structuring and simplifying has always been my passion – whether the cupboards at home, processes at work, or indeed my own or anyone else’s writing.
From school essays and academic papers to CV’s and cover letters, project documentation, proposals, presentations and communication strategy papers to web and blog content, crafting, structuring, simplifying and re-purposing words has always been a love affair for me.
To many friends and family it therefore came as no surprise when nearly 15 years into my (marketing, web development and project management focused) corporate career I started re-connecting with my ‘first love’ and consequently shifting my professional focus altogether.
What started as a slow transition and went hand in hand with my increasingly feeling unfulfilled in the corporate rat race whilst at the same time awakening the entrepreneur in me by getting involved in my husband’s small business, has by now developed into a true portfolio career. I also refer to it as my own colourful and free-spirited way of making a living, and time permitting – and inspiration hitting – I write about my experiences of this unconventional career journey on my blog bforbirgit.com. This post here ‘No longer business as usual’ is a short story about my taking the plunge.
“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ―Howard Thurman
Today, I combine my passion for copywriting, editing and strategising with my educational background and work experience to help large, small and solo businesses alike craft powerful words for their web and marketing content.
And, if that business happens to be a wedding by the way, I also love crafting heart-melting wedding words for the couple’s wedding website, stationery and similar more.
When I’m not engineering Power-Words or Wedding-Words, I put on my marketing, finance and administration hat in our small family business, and two days a week I work as Online Marketing Officer for a global dance examination organisation.
Outside of work I am known as a cat lover, home improvement enthusiast (yes that includes decluttering!) and inspirational quotes junkie (words of the world’s most significant and influential thought leaders of all ages are truly Power-Words), and can mostly be found on my yoga mat, pottering around in the garden or catching up with friends.
If you like the sound of me and your content needs an MOT or some TLC, I would be delighted to work with you!
- Proofreading, Editing and Copy Writing – having worked on large web projects for over ten years, I’ve had training in web copy writing and online sub-editing, search engine optimisation, information architecture and web usability; I am used to working with copy writers, graphic designers, user experience specialists and developers alike; I also have a track record of sub-editing websites and intranets, and writing and/or proofreading and editing my own project proposals, presentations and often large charters, as well as blog and website content.
- Marketing and Communications – formal qualifications include a Master’s degree in “Corporate & Media Communications and Pedagogy”, LCCI certificates in “PR, Marketing and Advertising” and a three months digital marketing course; through my corporate work experience I’ve been involved in external as well as internal facing communications campaigns and initiatives, and as part of marketing as well as change management and IT teams; since 2012 I’ve been driving all marketing activities for our small family business.
- Project Management – formal training and qualifications include PRINCE2 and a crash course in digital project management; I’ve spent the bulk of my corporate career managing often large web development projects; as well as my fair share of email campaigns, events and other marketing projects; most recently I’ve been adding a string to my bow by managing my first property project as we are expanding our family business.
- Leadership and Coaching – I have a strong interest in all things Personal Development and Leadership and have attended numerous professional progammes and seminars, including a two day coaching course. Moreover, I have taken coaching sessions myself, regularly immerse myself in literature and follow many thought leaders on Twitter and Facebook.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Since 2012 – Portfolio career – started to sporadically help out in family business whilst still full-time contracting; following last contract in 2014 soon took on full marketing, finance and administration functions in family business and in 2015 changed to part-time work (as Online Marketing Officer for an international dance examination board); Power-Words was born in 2016.
- 1996-2015 – Corporate career – initially held traditional marketing and PR roles, which in early 2000s became more and more digital and soon involved managing website development projects; in 2011 took additional project management qualification and gave up permanent employment to become independent contractor. Between 2006 and 2014 led seven web and four intranet development programmes.
- 2000 – Masters degree “Corporate & Media Communications and Pedagogy”